Wednesday, 2 December 2015

#Chennai #floods #image #View #Watch Here

Tamil Nadu

On 9 November 2015, [[Chn 9 November and 483 mm (19.0 in) on 10 November of rainfall; rains continued to lash Cuddalore, Chidambaram , Chennai. [10] Continuing rains led to low-lying parts of Chennai becoming inundated by 13 November, resulting in the evacuation of over 1000 people from their homes. On 15-16 November, Chennai received 24.65 cm (9.70 in) of ssssrainfall, the highest amount recorded since November 2005, flooding most areas of the city.[7] The flooding in Chennai city was worsened by years of illegal development and inadequate levels of flood preparedness.[12] Much of the city remained flooded on 17 November, though rainfall had largely ceased.[13]
Though rainfall from the earlier low pressure system ended on 25 November, a second system developed on 29 November, bringing additional rain and flooding. The Indian Meteorological Department predicted heavy rainfall over Tamil Nadu until the end of the week.[11][2] On 1 December, heavy rains led to inundation in many areas of Chennai, with trains cancelled and the Chennai International Airport closing temporarily.[14] The same day, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announced that, due to the continued flooding and rains, half-yearly school examinations originally scheduled for 7 December would be postponed until the first week in January.[15] For the first time since its founding in 1878, the major newspaper The Hindu was unable to publish a print edition on 2 December, as workers were unable to reach the press building.[16] The Southern Railways again cancelled all major services to the southern districts of Tamil Nadu, with further cancellations predicted.
By the afternoon of 1 December, power supplies had been suspended to 60 percent of the city's districts, while several city hospitals stopped functioning.[17] The state government announced a holiday for all schools and colleges; many factories also halted operations.[17] By the following day, the city of Chennai had received 12 cm. of rain, with its suburbs receiving 18 centimeters. Residents in the city's southern suburbs were the worst affected; thousands of commuters were stranded on 2 December at different points en route to their homes after bus and train services stopped.[17] Hundreds of houses flooded in the Tambaram and Mudichur areas; the main GST road, connecting the city with the southern districts was cut off from the main city.[17] Thousands of people were forced to evacuate their homes after major lakes breached and flooded residential areas in the southern suburbs. Chennai was officially declared a disaster area on the evening of 2 December.[18] Chennai International Airport was ordered to be closed until 6 December; flights were moved to Tirupati and Bengaluru airports, with Rajali Naval Base serving as a temporary passenger airport.[18] Over 1,500 stranded passengers were evacuated from Chennai International by the evening of 2 December.
Chennai received 104.9 cm (41.3 in) of rainfall in November, the highest since receiving 108.8 cm (42.8 in) in November 1918.[20][21] The flooding in Chennai city was described as the worst in a century.[18] As of 1 December, 156 people in Tamil Nadu were reported to have died due to the flooding since 8 November,[1][2][22] while over 70,000 people had been rescued.[7][23] The cyclone and rains have led to schools and colleges remaining closed across Puducherry and Chennai, Kancheepuram and Tiruvallur districts in Tamil Nadu and fishermen were warned against sailing due to high waters and rough seas.[24] The state government reported preliminary flood damages of 8481 crore (US$1 billion), and requested 2000 crore (US$299 million) for immediate relief efforts.[4] The persistent rainfall and flooding forced several major automakers in the region, including Ford Motor Company, Renault, Nissan and Daimler AG to temporarily halt production, resulting in estimated losses of 200 crore (US$30 million). Industry analysts estimated total industrial losses as a result of the floods to be in the range of 10,000 to 15,000 crores.[9] Prices of vegetables and fruits significantly increased, as over 50 percent of supplies were affected due to numerous lorries becoming stranded.


Puducherry experienced relatively minor damage in November as the depression largely remained offshore; some trees were downed and several banana and sugarcane plantations at Kuttchipalayam were severely damaged.[25] Puducherry reported receiving 55.7 mm of rainfall over the 24-hour period from 14-15 November. Water entered several houses in low-lying areas, while three houses collapsed in Uppalam. Mudaliarpet, parts of Rainbow Nagar, Muthialpet, Krishna Nagar and Lawspet Main Road were inundated, along with portions of roadways near Karuvadikkuppam and the Shivaji statue on the ECR, causing traffic problems. Several roads were badly damaged, hindering motorists, while some members of the public took the initiative to begin clearing areas of water without directions from the government. Chief Minister N. Rangasamy stated the official machinery had been readied in preparation for any flooding, while local administration officials closed all schools and colleges in Puducherry and Karaikal districts on 16 November, anticipating further rainfall.[26]
On 24 November, it was reported over 4800 hectares of farmland had been flooded, though it remained too early to determine the extent of crop damage.[27] On 26 November, the state government submitted a preliminary estimate of damages to the central government, requesting it to release an initial 182.45 crore (US$27 million) for relief; based on preliminary estimates, Chief Minister Rangasamy reported losses as follows: public works (120.89 crore (US$18 million)), municipal administration (48.66 crore (US$7 million)), agriculture (7.2 crore (US$1 million)), power (3.14 crore (US$468,802)), revenue (2.48 crore (US$370,264)) and animal husbandry (7.19 lakh (US$10,735)).[6] On 1 December, Rangasamy requested an additional 100 crore (US$15 million) for "immediate interim relief."[28]
A 65-year-old man in Ariyankuppam was killed on 9 November when a mud wall collapsed, while a 53-year-old man in Uppalam was subsequently reported to have died due to the rain.

Andhra Pradesh

As rainfall began in Andhra Pradesh on 16 November, local authorities closed schools in Chittoor district. Thousands of lakes and ponds across the district overflowed, with breaches reported in some areas. At Sri Kalahasti, a pilgrimage centre in the region, the Swarnamukhi River was reported to be rising. Three people were swept away by floodwaters in the Varadaiahpalem mandal of Chittoor district, and water entered some houses. Roads were damaged in many parts of Nellore district, disrupting transport services. Andhra Pradesh chief minister Chandrababu Naidu held a teleconference with the district collectors of affected districts and asked disaster response personnel to be on alert.[30]
Heavy rainfall in Nellore, Chittoor and Kadapa districts flooded villages and disrupted transport networks. It was estimated by 18 November that at least 500 km of roads had been damaged by flooding, with the Chennai-Kolkata highway cut the previous day and stranding hundreds of vehicles and motorists; officials said it would take days to restore the link. As in Tamil Nadu, the Southern Railway diverted or cancelled numerous trains.[31] Over 10,000 lorry drivers were stranded on the Tada-Kavali national highway in Nellore district; district officers established 61 relief camps in the flood-affected areas and deputed senior IAS officers to oversee the relief operations in Gudur, Naidupet and Atmakur divisions, respectively. Up to 500 tanks were breached as rivers overflowed, forcing administration to suspend rescue operations for marooned villages, though administrators supplied 10,000 food and water packets through the rail network, which managed to operate some trains, while the APSRTC continued to run bus services to less-flooded areas such as Atmakuru, Udayagiri, Marripadu and Seetharampuram.
In Kadapa district, the rains tapered off by Wednesday and road links between Tirupati-Kadapa were restored; preliminary estimates were that the district had sustained about 29 crore (US$4 million) of agricultural losses. Horticulture farms at Pendlimerry, Chintakommadinne, Siddhavatam and Khajipet mandals were also destroyed by the rain. Other heavy agricultural losses were reported in Rayalaseema, Nellore, Prakasam, East and West Godavari districts; the chief minister asked agriculture department officials to drain fields at the earliest in order to save crops.[33]
In a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 19 November, Chief Minister Naidu reported preliminary estimates of flood-related damage in Andhra Pradesh included 1250 crore (US$187 million) worth of agricultural-related damages and 1025 crore (US$153 million) of damage to infrastructure; he requested central authorities to release 1000 crore (US$149 million) for immediate relief efforts.[3] According to Naidu, Nellore district was the most seriously affected, reporting an estimated 1395 crore (US$208 million) worth of losses, followed by Chittoor district, which reported losses of 818 crore (US$122 million). Kadapa district was also seriously affected, with extensive crop damage reported in East and West Godavari districts and a lesser scale of damage in Anantapur, Prakasam and Krishna districts.[3] The aquaculture industry in Nellore district was catastrophically affected, with over 8000 hectares of fish and prawn ponds destroyed, at an estimated loss of 250 crore (US$37 million).[34] On 2 December, Thota Narasimham, an MP from the Telugu Desam Party, reported in the Lok Sabha that preliminary losses in the state roughly totalled 3819 crore (US$570 million).[5]
As of 20 November, 35 people were reported to have been killed by flooding in the state,[3] while over 14,000 people had been evacuated to relief camps in Nellore and Chittoor districts.[35]

No comments:

Post a Comment